Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Surprise! Inmate Who Asked for a 33-year Sentence in Honor of Larry Bird Has Regrets

Here’s probably the least surprising news you’ll hear today—an inmate who asked a judge to tack on an extra three years to his 30-year sentence, bringing his total sentence to 33-years in honor of Larry Bird, is now regretting that decision.
Back in 2005, Eric Torpy was sentenced to 30-years in prison for armed robbery and two counts of shooting with intent to kill.  Torpy though asked the judge to add an additional three years onto his sentence, to which the judge complied.  Fast-forward six years and Torpy is regretting that decision, big time.
From Boston.com
Torpy says he was “basically clowning around’’ when he asked for more time.
“I told them, ‘Look, you might as well just give me three more and give me a number I like,’ ’’ he said. “And I’ve always liked Larry Bird. And I’ve always liked the Boston Celtics.’’
But after sharing a 10-foot-by-15-foot cell at the Davis Correctional Facility for the last six years, Torpy regrets asking for the extra time.
“Now that I have to do that time, yes I do,’’ says Torpy. “I kind of wished that I had 30 instead of 33. Recently I’ve wisened up.
“That three is a big deal, you know? Three years matters.’’
Torpy will turn 33 this year and is not eligible for parole until 2033.

Good call clowning around in front of a judge.  Torpy doesn’t seem to be the sharpest tack around, so I doubt he had the foresight to realize that judges aren’t known for their sense of humor.
Still, Torpy thinks his notoriety may have paid off, as he thinks the Celtics legend at the very least knows who he is…
Because of all the publicity his case has generated, he thinks Bird knows about him.
“I’m pretty sure he thinks I’m an idiot,’’ says Torpy. “I mean, truthfully, most people do. My own family does, so I’m pretty sure he does, too.’’
If in fact Larry Legend is aware of Eric Torpy, I’m positive he thinks the guy’s an idiot.  Good thing for our inmate friend here he’s not a fan of Wayne Gretzky.
Rimshot.

No comments:

Post a Comment