Friday, February 18, 2011

Are Larry Bird and Magic Johnson Making Their Way to Broadway?

To be honest, I’m not a theater buff.  I’m not a buff at anything, although I’d like to be.  I’ve never seen Phantom of the Opera, Les Miserables, Stomp, Clomp or any other play or musical, and I’m pretty sure to be considered a buff I’d have to see at least two of those, minimum.  I did see a live show once while I was in Mexico, involving a woman and a donkey, but I doubt that will win any Tony Awards.
This, however, may make me head to Broadway–a play about Magic Johnson and Larry Bird, based on their on-court rivalry and off-court friendship from their college days until their time as teammates on the 1992 Olympic Dream Team.
The play, titled simply enough “Magic/Bird,” is the brainchild of Eric Simonson, who must have a thing for sports-based theater productions.  Simonson is the playwright responsible for the Broadway hit “Lombardi,” based on the life of Packers legend Vince Lombardi, and starring the angry dad from the Wonder Years.


From the Washington Post
Eric Simonson is working on “Magic/Bird,” a new play that will chronicle the lives of basketball Hall of Famers Larry Bird and Earvin “Magic” Johnson.
The story will trace the two basketball stars’ rivalry and friendship from their days as rookies in the NBA to their appearance on the Olympic Dream Team in 1992. Johnson and Bird were key parts in the storied struggle between the Boston Celtics and the Los Angeles Lakers during the 1980s.
The six-character play is scheduled to debut on Broadway in 2012. The script is currently in development and no theater or director has been chosen yet. Johnson and Bird will participate in the creative process.
Another cool fact about this play is that it will be produced in association with the NBA, in much the same way that “Lombardi” was endorsed by the NFL.
The big question here is, who gets to play the lead roles?  I vote for the multi-talented Neil Patrick Harris as Larry Bird—seeing Doogie Howser onstage portraying Larry Legend would be enough to melt the cockles of my heart, especially if there’s singing and dancing.  And if they need a love interest, I can get them the number of that lady with the donkey.

No comments:

Post a Comment